When Jyväskylä was established in 1837, architect Carl Ludvig Engel planned to build a town hall next to the church square. The building was designed by Karl Viktor Reinius and completed in 1899 becoming a prominent building in a town dominated by wooden buildings. Over 120 years the City Hall has been several times under reconstruction, yet the interior and exterior have been preserved.
Currently the City Hall has offices and facilities for the Mayor, the City Board, the Registry Office, the City Office, Legal Services and the information desk. It is also a venue for numerous city events.
Free guided tours (in Finnish and sometimes in other languages) are arranged throughout the year.